What am I Supposed to do With a Hypochondriac Step Daughter?
My husband and I have been married for ten years. We are in our early sixties and my step-daughter is in her mid thirties. Every 3-4 months she comes up with another illness, always with elaborate consequences, such as she can't lift more than ten pounds, can't drive, sleeps all day, etc. She's on methodone for chronic fatigue. The complaints never end, yet, I have seen her running, and driving. I think she is making it up all for her father's attention. Her father believes her. Herein lies the problem, and in the end I'm the one with no sympathy for her or him. This has caused a few problems in our marriage and I've had enough. Is it okay for me to ask my husband not to talk to me about all her latest illnesses, or what do you suggest?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.