Spousal Abuse and Borderline Personality Disorder
In late 1995 I started dating following a divorce from a 29 yr marriage (32 yrs total). This woman had also been recently divorced, her 2nd time. We married 4/98, after somewhat of a very difficult dating period. I experienced frequent, with regularity, stages of rage, and anger on her part, for often times seemingly minor things. I thought they would end after we got married, because she always feared that I would leave her. They didn't. They got worse. In August 03, and after 3-4 other events of physical abuse (punching), I filed a complaint and obtained an order of protection. I later dropped the criminal charge, as my wife promised to get into therapy. She didn't, but she did file for divorce and then after 6 mo. withdrew her petition. Again agreeing to reconciliation. Never happened. In November 04 I filed for divorce. I'm haunted by the action of getting an order of protection, and I know it was painful for my wife to be arrested. But I feel I took the appropirate action. Either she would get help or the marriage was over. Well, at that point there really wasn't a marriage. Sometimes I feel like I acted too harshly, knowing what consequences she would face. Spousal Abuse is horrible! How much is wife on husband? How much doesn't get reported because us Macho guys don't want to be looked upon as wimps. (I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and I can take care of myself). But wouldn't hurt my wife...
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.